Long night of counting for election officials
By Lisa Morton
Local Democratic and Republican candidates in the Primary Election Tuesday kept vigil near the Culberson County Courthouse until voter numbers were posted around 3:00 a.m. Wednesday morning. The delay was apparently due to a shortage of election workers and a high number of Early Voting Ballots (over 300) that could not be counted until after the polls opened.
Carlos G. Urias held onto his position as County Judge with 258 cast for him as opposed to 174 votes cast for Manuel Manny Molinar. In an upset, incumbent Susie Hinojos lost her seat as County Treasurer to Adrian Hinojos with Adrian receiving 386 votes with Susie at 352 votes.
Commissioner, Precinct 2 will see a Run-Off Election in May for incumbent Raul Rodriguez who received 114 votes, and Joe Mike Balcazar who received 67 votes. The third opponent in this race was Lolo Urias and he received 56 votes.
Local Culberson County results:
- County Judge
- Carlos G. Urias – 258 | Manuel Manny Molinar- 174
- County Treasurer
- Adrian Hinojos- 386 | Susie Hinojos- 352 votes
- County Commissioner, Precinct 2 (Run-Off Election in May)
- Raul Rodriguez- 114 | Joe Mike Balcazar- 67 | Lolo Urias- 56
- County Commissioner, Precinct 4
- Adrian Julio Norman – 102 David Rivera – 72
- Justice of the Peace, Precinct 1
- Rita H. Carrasco – 120 Juliann Luna – 32
- Justice of the Peace, Precinct 2
- A.P. Flores, Jr. – 115 Duane (Toto) Corrales – 98
- Justice of the Peace, Precinct 3
- Michael Davis – 124
- Justice of the Peace, Precinct 4
- Betty Velez – 119
- District and County Clerk
- Linda McDonald – 319